New Additional Learning Needs School in Newport, Wales
welcOme TO Ysgol Tŷ MonmoutH
An independent, co-educational school providing day placements for children that benefit from a smaller bespoke environment. The school caters for children in key stage 2, 3 and 4 with Additional Learning Needs.
Our pupils often have additional learning needs which include Autism and other associated learning / developmental needs. We deliver a personalised curriculum, which meets the individual needs of our pupils, whilst also supporting them to meet the outcomes identified in their statement of Education Needs/Individual Development Plans/Educational Healthcare Plans.
Our goal is to provide access to the best academic outcomes possible along with preparing our pupils for adulthood and the next stage of their education and equipping them with the skills required to achieve personal success.
DELIVERING OUR VALUES
At Ysgol Tŷ Monmouth, the individual needs of our pupils are at the heart of all that we do.
We work closely with our children/young people, their families and professionals to create bespoke programmes of learning for pupils, which are tailored to their educational and social and emotional needs, supporting them to achieve their full potential.
This means that we deliver a personalised curriculum, which, where appropriate, acknowledges the curriculum for Wales and focusses upon pupil specific areas for development, whilst also supporting pupils to meet the outcomes identified in their Statement of Education Needs / Individual Development Plans / Educational Healthcare Plans.
To achieve this, every pupil has an Individual Education Plan (IEP) which identifies their personal areas of need and how we can best support them, both in terms of team member approach and the curriculum that is provided.
Our goal is to provide access to the best academic outcomes possible as well as preparing our pupils for adulthood and the next stage of their education by equipping them with the skills required to achieve personal success.
THE CORE OFFER
Ysgol Tŷ Monmouth supports children and young people between the ages of 7 and 16 who have Additional Learning Needs.
The school cater for pupils who have specific needs relating to Autism Spectrum Condition (ASC),
attachment and communication impairments.
At Ysgol Tŷ Monmouth we aim to provide a caring learning environment where pupils can experience positive learning opportunities that will enable them to develop their full potential socially, emotionally, academically and physically. We aim for our pupils to develop their feelings of self -worth, grow intellectually, build positive relationships and develop their life and social skills in order that they will become happy, confident and valued members of society.
- Have high expectations of our pupils.
- Create a safe and positive learning environment in which pupils can learn effectively.
- Provide all pupils with a broad range of subjects and qualifications.
- Provide opportunities for pupils to develop their interests and skills through a range of extra-curricular activities and experiences.
- Ensure good home-school relationships in order to enable parents and carers to play their part in the education of their children.
- We are a specialist provision and we create bespoke packages for pupils with Autism and associated learning/development needs.
- We tailor our curriculum to ensure that it meets the need of pupils with Autism and associated learning/development difficulties.
- We are a truly therapeutic school and have an in house therapy team who can support the Additional learning needs of our pupils.
- Offer a range of interventions to support pupil progress in all areas.
- We develop strong relationships with a variety of stakeholders and outside agencies in order to support pupils throughout their time at school and through periods of transition.
- We foster values- based curriculum which helps pupils grow in confidence, creativity and self-control.
- We are an attachment aware school and successfully address barriers to learning so that academic attainment, health and well-being are improved.
- We believe that all behaviour is communication and aim to understand the out pupil’s needs in order that we can meet them effectively.
- We use restorative approaches in order to help pupils understand their place in the world and help them to develop the skills and mental agility they need in order be forge positive relationships, cope with conflict and rebuild friendships if problems arise.
- Small group teaching: Maximum of 4 students per class with TA support.
- 1:1 and small group intervention work, transitional support.
- Rigorous Academic Progress Tracking and Assessment through the use of B squared tracking software.
- Baseline Developmental Assessments and Progress Tracking, using motional.
- PACE principles in regard attachment based interventions and approaches embedded throughout the curriculum.
- Specialist differentiated teaching - Bespoke education packages to meet individual needs and aspirations.
- Termly reports and meetings to agree targets and discuss progress.
- Weekly Enrichment and Self Esteem building activities.
- Weekly Outdoor learning opportunities.
- Examinations and accreditation.
- Restorative Approaches.
- Individual Education plans.
- Bespoke education packages to meet individual needs and aspirations.
- Robust Safeguarding systems and close liaison with external agencies and relevant stakeholders.
- Regular communications with parents and carers via the Seesaw app.
- Specific learning interventions/ IT/ equipment etc.
- Bespoke PSHE and SRE learning opportunities which support student's individual needs.
- Calm and consistent learning environment.
- Specialist teaching and support staff with ASC and attachment training.
- Regular reflective support sessions with pupils and team members to ensure a pupil centred approach.
REFERRALS & ADMISSIONS
Pupil admissions to Ysgol Tŷ Monmouth are determined through an assessment process. Parents and Social Workers are welcome to contact the school for more information once you have read our prospectus. We take applications at all points of the year.
- Parents/Carers/Social Worker/Placements team contact school for information.
- Parents/Carers inform Local Authority of their school preferences.
- Local authority consults Ysgol Tŷ Monmouth.
- Senior leadership team assesses whether pupil needs can be met.
- Further information may be required at this stage.
- Home visit or School visit arranged.
- Parents/Carers and Pupil invited for admissions interview.
- Final decision made by Senior leadership team.
- Local Authority informed of decision and education package agreed.
- Admission Pack sent out to parents/carers to be completed and signed.
- Individual risk assessment and positive behavioural support plan created.
- All information added to School Information Systems.
- Transport arranged through the Local Authority.
- Clear transition plan created.
- Pupil starts at Ysgol Tŷ Monmouth.
- Baseline assessments commence.